It is our understanding that sustainable development is a process of societal transformation in light of globally scarce ecological and societal resources and fragile environmental and social systems and that sustainability sciences are to provide sound scientific contributions for the rational appraisal of future options and actions.
Our mission is to:
- Carry out social science based research on sustainability issues that can also contribute to informed societal decisions;
- Contribute to the clarification of the theoretical basis and normative foundation of sustainability;
- Teach our students to become scientifically informed experts on sustainable development.
Our expertise includes:
- Merging of competencies within the social sciences (including philosophy, sociology, human geography, political sciences and psychology. Also, merging competencies between the social sciences and economics and natural sciences;
- Analyzing and evaluating governance structures, developmental goals and instruments, possible outcomes and impacts of actions with a special focus on energy and water related issues;
- Scientifically reflecting on normative assumptions within sustainable development issues.
University of Basel
Sustainability Research Group
4051 Basel, Switzerland
Fax: +41 (0)61 207 07 75