Prof. Dr. Paul Burger
Head of the Sustainability Research Group
Professor for the socio-cultural domain within the interdisciplinary Master in Sustainable Development
Born 1956, initially trained as a technician, he studied philosophy and history (doctorate 1992, habilitation 1997), was scientific assistant for philosophy in Basel und Luzern, SNF-research fellow, lecturer at the universities of St. Gallen, Fribourg, Innsbruck, Maribor, and from 1998-2005 head of the interfaculty teaching program People Society Environment at the University of Basel; since 2006 he has been in charge of the Program Sustainability Research; he also represents the University of Basel in the organising committee of the biannual EUCOR summer-university in sustainability science, and is Co-Chairman of the International Sustainability Conference (ISC).
Research and teaching interests
Among his research interests are theoretical foundations for sustainability, values and evaluation (especially within sustainability issues), human-nature-interrelations, ontology of systems, social theories and sustainability, epistemology and methodology of future studies and of inter- & transdisciplinary research.
Currently offered themes for Master theses at the Program sustainability research [PDF [PDF/78 KB]]
- Soziologie in der Nachhaltigkeitsforschung. Auf dem Weg zur Koevolutionswissenschaft (Sociology in sustainability research; Habilitationsprojekt Jens Jetzkowitz, Uni Lüneburg)
- Wissen als Gut. Ein Beitrag zur Grundlegung der sozialen Erkenntnistheorie (Knowledge as a good. A contribution to social epistemology, Diss. Rainer Kamber).
- Biophysische Welt und Autonomie des Sozialen [PDF [PDF/78 KB]]
- Axiologie und Nachhaltige Entwicklung (Axiology and Sustainable Development, Diss. Marius Christen).
- Nachhaltigkeitsbewertung von Sanitation-Projekten in indischen Kleinstädten (Sustainability Assessement of sanitation projects in India, Masterarbeit Carole Küng).
Burger, Paul; Bezençon, Valéry; Bornemann, Basil; Brosch, Tobias; Carabias-Hütter, Vicente; Farsi, Mehdi; Hille, Stefanie Lena; Moser, Corinne; Ramseier, Céline; Samuel, Robin; Sander, David; Schmidt, Stephan; Sohre, Annika; Volland, Benjamin: Advances in understanding energy consumption behavior and the governance of its change - outline of an integrated framework, in: Frontiers in Energy Research 3, 2015, S. 27.
Schultz, Emily; Christen, Marius; Voget, Lieske; Burger, Paul: A Sustainability-fitting Interpretation of the Capabilities Approach: Integrating the Natural Dimension by employing Feedback Loops, in: Journal of Human Development and Capabilities 14, 2013, H. 1, S. 115-133.
Lange, Philipp; Driessen, Peter P. J.; Sauer, Alexandra; Bornemann, Basil; Burger, Paul: Governing towards sustainability - conceptualizing modes of governance, in: Journal of environmental policy & planning 15, 2013, H. 3, S. 403-425.
> All Publications
Appointments by email.
CH - 4056
Office room number 02.005
+41 (0)61 207 04 03